Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What the Hell is Going on in Sacramento?


I've always wondered if the people that lived through true incompetence knew it would be remembered. Like how did people think Neville Chamberlain or Andre Maginot would be remembered? Or Caligula of Rome? Or the inventor of New Coke? I never thought I would have to wonder the same thing about someone from my time, but I'm starting to think Vivek Ranadive will be remembered until the end of time as one of the worst leaders in the history of human civilization.

The list of Kings transactions since he became owner reads like a Stephen King horror novel. Baffling front office and coaching hires. Bad drafting. Stupid roster moves that make no sense whatsoever and show no level of understanding of the talent on his team and where they stand in the league. All while putting a crazy amount of pressure on his team to win now and having a public persona of the kindly old billionaire that doesn't have a clue. And now this George Karl saga. After being reportedly out the door, the Kings dramatically announced that he would not, in fact, be fired. For now. It's Favreian level decision making.

Vivek is clearly a smart guy. You don't become a tech magnate by accident. But, as an NBA owner, he's quickly becoming the worst to ever do it. My rule of thumb when it comes to pro sports is that if I truly, genuinely believe I am better than you at something, you're all time bad at it. Well, I know for a fact I'd be a better owner than Vivek, just like I'm a better free throw shooter than Andre Drummond, a better fielder than Hanley Ramirez, and have better hands than Ted Ginn.

There's a select number of remember-where-you-were moments in history. I think we're headed there with Vivek. He's going to do something so dumb, so incomprehensibly stupid that the world will momentarily stop spinning. I'd like to think that you can tell when someone is going to be remembered throughout history, whether good or bad. I'm pretty sure Vivek is going to be remembered. Maybe that's all he ever wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment